Monday, October 29, 2012

Indie Author Spotlight of Rachel J. Thorne Author of Last Regress


Rachael J. Thorne

The title of her book: 

Last Regress

Where she creates:

Originally I’m from Yorkshire in the North of England, I moved to Suffolk when I was 16 (many moons ago), and my husband and I moved here to Essex just over a year ago.

The genre that gets to claim her: 

I usually write in the supernatural/paranormal genre.

In her words, her book is about: 

I would say it’s about a paranormal investigator who thinks she’s got everything figured out until something comes along that she can’t explain away with logic.

Her muse always follows a set plan: 

I’m extremely ordered when I write, outlines, to do lists, chapter plans galore. It takes me almost as long to plan the first draft as it does to write the first draft!

He she ever written anything and thought:  " The world has got to see this!" ? 

No, I’m terribly shy about letting people see my work. It’s taken me years to pluck up the courage to actually take the leap and publish my first book, now I just need to keep it going.

Who can we thank for helping to bring Last Regress to perfection?



I have a couple of independent proof readers, but apart from that so far I’ve done it all myself. I think as my work progresses in the future I would like to work with an editor and a professional cover designer, but starting out completely on my own with no financial backing at all, as many other indies know, was very hard.

Has one author inspired her more than any other? 

Goodness, I honestly don’t think there’s only one author who has made me feel that way. Since I was very young I’ve been such a voracious reader and therefore so many authors have influenced me throughout my life. I have wanted to write since I was a teenager though.

Is there anything she has found particularly challenging in her writing? 

  I think what I find the most challenging is keeping myself structured. Despite my constant use of lists I still find it easy to get distracted. I might start the day intending to finish a chapter, I find I need to quickly research something, then I get distracted by something else that I think of, before I know it the day has passed and the chapter still hasn’t been written but I’ve done fifteen other things and created several different tasks for myself.

Does Rachel  write her characters or do they write themselves through her? 

I definitely write them, as in I know what their personalities will be when I begin the writing process, but they do develop as the story unfolds.

Does Rachel ever write herself into the characters? 

Never, I’m far too boring for that!

 Is writing her full time job or is she "Keeping her day job"? So to speak.

  Technically I’m keeping my day job, but unfortunately at the moment I’m too sick to do my day job. I have an autoimmune disease which has more or less forced me to become housebound, so you could say I’m also writing full time.

If Rachel could go back in time, she'd want to solve an age old mystery.

 It sounds so clichéd but it would be Jack the Ripper (not at close quarters though!), just because I would love to see who it actually was.

There are millions of new books released every year. What in her  mind makes Last Regress stand out from all those millions in it's genre? 

(Here you are asking a shy person that question :) Well I think a lot of people will identify with my main character, Alyssa. She’s not a super strong/immortal/paranormal heroine, she just a normal woman like any of us, a bit bogged down with self doubt, and she doesn’t always do the washing up! 

In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Has she found a great free way to market her work that she thinks other Indies will benefit from? 

I’m sure that most indies are doing the same. Of course social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook are valuable marketing tools, but the network of fellow indie authors and bloggers who support indies is absolutely amazing. Interviews, spotlight posts, reviews are so valuable to an author promoting their book and there are lots of fantastic sites.

Links to Follow Rachel's Career: 

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15754779-last-regre

Links to purchase Last Regress: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.