Friday, October 12, 2012

Indie Author Interview of M.L. Ryan Author of Special Offers.

 The Author
M.L.Ryan

That’s my pen name; I use it so my mother won’t know I wrote a novel. I’m concerned she will bombard me with questions about whether the main character’s mother is based on her, and also chastise me for its racier content.


The work of art:

Special Offers (The Coursodon Dimension)

Special Offers is the first book in the Coursodon Dimension Series. It is also my first novel.


Where she creates:

I live in Tucson, Arizona. The desert, the weather (especially when it’s seventy degrees in January), the mountains and the wide array of weird native critters made me fall in love with the area. Also, I adore Mexican food and Tucson has some of the best!

The genre that gets to claim her:

I write Paranormal Romance – Urban Fantasy laced with a significant dose of humor.

The heart of the story:

Special Offers is about a woman who finds herself inhabited by a magically-inclined, supernatural being from another dimension who was previously trapped in her Kindle eBook reader.

Her muse follows no rules:

  1. There are rules? I probably should have checked those out. In any case, I have a rough idea in my mind when I start, but no formal outline. I feel like the characters kind of “write themselves” that way.

    Who do we think for the look of Special Offers?

    I have a professional editor, but I designed the cover of Special Offers, as well as the cover for the soon-to-be-published second book of the series.

    Has she ever written anything and thought: The world has got to see this?

    One of the reason I began writing was because, quite often, I’d think of some story line and say to myself, “That’s pretty good; I bet other people would like that too.” Well, at least other people with the same warped sense of humor.
Who inspires her the most?

Charlaine Harris. When I read her Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse), I loved how she wove modern concerns into vampire-lore and then put her own twist on everything. The characters are well-crafted, the world-building sucks you in from the get-go and she’s not afraid to add humor to somewhat serious plots. Knowing that there were a lot of people that enjoyed that kind of a story (other than me) gave me incentive to finally write some of my own.

What M.L. thinks is the hardest part of writing:

I find it difficult to write the stuff between the main plot points. There’s a fine line between smooth, engaging transitions and awkward ones that make readers want to claw their eyes out rather than read another line.I try my best to stay with the former and avoid the latter; after all, self-blinding readers tend not to give good reviews.




Do her characters write themselves?

Darn, I answered that one in question #6. Actually, some characters write themselves more than others and I find I am fonder of the ones that take control of me rather than the other way around.

Does she ever write herself into her characters?

I think a lot of me sneaks into my characters. Like Sebastian, I am sarcastic, sharp-tongued and have major issues with authority. Hailey and I share a love for tequila, the beautiful Sonoran desert and swearing like a sailor. Alex is tall, blonde and hot; his character is completely a product of my imagination and bears no resemblance to me whatsoever.

 Is writing her full time job is she "Keeping her day job"? So to speak.

I have a Ph.D. in Immunology, and that job lets me write a lot of science non-fiction. I enjoy it, but research doesn’t provide a good outlet for the more creative (or bizarre) aspects of my personality, and that sort of weirdness needs to come out somehow. It’s probably a good thing that I finally started writing fiction; my scientist-colleagues tend to not get my sense of humor. Or anyone’s for that matter.

If M.L had a time machine, She'd do it right: 

If I could go back in time, I’d like to meet Leonardo Da Vinci. That dude could do it all – art, science, invention. If he had six-pack abs, he’d be the perfect man.

Why she thinks her book stands out from the masses:

I think my book is unique because the paranormal aspects aren't based on the traditional cast of supernatural beings found in most books in the genre. There aren't any vampires, werewolves, zombies or witches, just a parallel universe filled with the magically-inclined that interact with humans.  

The best free marketing for Indies in M.L.'s opinion:

The best free means to market an Indie book is through blogs like yours. I am so thankful that there are book-lovers who care about independent authors and their work. The help you and others like you provide in getting the word out is invaluable. It’s vitally important for indies to help other indies!

Nikki: Agreed. Totally!  Thanks so much for being a part of  my 31 Days of the Paranormal M.L. Great answers.  I've told you this before, I know but, what an awesome story idea! 

Follow M.L.  Ryan's career: 

Twitter:@MLRyan1


Now  take a look at Special offers:


Hailey Parrish is quick-witted, irreverent, and hasn’t had a date in three years. She only wanted an eBook reader because her collection of paperbacks threatened to take over her small living space. Little did she know that the "special offers" that prompted the purchase included much more than a reduced price in exchange for a few ads. The device came pre-loaded with the essence of Sebastian Kess, an erudite womanizer with magical abilities from a parallel dimension. When she inadvertently releases him and he inhabits her body, she finally has a man inside her, just not in the way she imagined. And soon her predicament introduces her to yet another supernatural, the handsome could-be-the-man-of-her-dreams Alex Sunderland. Can Alex and Hailey find a way to return Sebastian to his own body, stay one step ahead of the criminals who want to keep him where he is, and not lose their sense of humor?


Purchase Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.