Sunday, May 19, 2013

#Indie Spotlight of Robin Tidwell @RobinTidwell Author of Reduced and Reused


The Author
 Robin Tidwell

The Title of Your Work or Group: 


                                  Reduced, Reused, and coming in July, Recycled.

Where are you from? 
St. Louis, Missouri

In what genre do you write?
Dystopian

In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book you just read to a friend, what would you say about it? 
Well, it’s this great book about a government screw-up, and almost everyone is killed off by a virus known as V.A.D.E.R. A group of adults have had a bit of a warning that this could happen, so they’ve arranged to meet in a remote location near St. Louis, one that they’re familiar with from long ago. They survive… mostly. For a while. Then things get bad. Those who are left join a resistance of sorts, but soon only three are left. The second book begins with the end of the first, and unexpected reinforcements arrive. Soon, the small group has increased in size but, as things continue to deteriorate, they make the decision to head to the center of the corruption: Chicago.

What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens. 
First, I have an idea; it transfers to the keyboard, just as though I were telling a story – duh, right? I know what’s going to happen, usually, but sometimes I write the ending first. Once, when I did that, I went to the epilogue, then the last chapter, second to last, and so on until I realized I was writing the damn thing backwards. So I switched in up again and went back to the beginning. It’s helpful in that you DO know where you’re going, at least. I jot down notes, like a character’s preference or hair color or age, just so I don’t mess that up at some point. And, sometimes, I’ll do a quick outline but I often deviate from that and seldom actually refer to it. I do follow rules and guidelines, unless they don’t work – especially when it comes to dialogue.

Have you ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ? 
Of course. Why else would I do this?

Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself? 
I do have an editor, but I designed the covers myself. However, since I started out publishing house, Rocking Horse Publishing, I now have a freelance cover designer for all our other books.

Who is your favorite author. Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy. 
Margaret Mitchell. She was my original inspiration and yes, I have my own Great American Novel in progress.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? 
Finding the time and the motivation at the same hour of the day. Between the publishing house, the bookstore, my family (in no particular order!), a new puppy… well, it’s hard to keep putting out fires AND be creative.

Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you? 
My main character, Abby, was in the dream that sparked this entire venture. I’ve been told she’s a little like me so, well, we argue a lot. Mostly though, I go into character mode – like an actor, I think – and out she comes. At least, I prefer to use the term “actor,” instead of “mentally unbalanced.”

Do you ever write yourself into the characters? 
I think I might have just answered that… but yes, Abby is more like I would like to be as opposed to how I actually am – more or less!

Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak. 
Mom, wife, publisher, bookseller, author – it’s a combination.

If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be? 
Ooh, that’s a tough one. Margaret Mitchell, for sure. And a few of the classic actors, John Wayne, Clark Gable. There are a lot more, I’m sure, if I had time to actually think about it!

There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre? 
It seems to me as though a lot of dystopian is geared toward YA; mine is not. Most adult dystopian seems to include aliens or zombies and again, mine does not. Just the world transitioned into a new one, a more frightening one, but one with opportunities nonetheless.

In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from? 
I use social media, of course, Facebook, Twitter, a little Pinterest and G+. I know many writers with blogs and social media accounts and I’m not afraid to ask for publicity on those fronts. I’m all about cheap marketing, I promote heavily but not, I hope, obnoxiously! I send out freebies to reviewers, do giveaways, and of course I have a website. You have to diversify; I sell through bookstores, my websites, and even out of my truck if it comes to that. Networking, too, is important – and in person, like at writers conferences, not just online.

Now, Where can people find and follow your work?


Twitter: @RobinTidwell






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.