Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Indie Author Spotlight of Michael Edward Author of The Beginning of the end. One & Two

The Author:
Michael Edward
The works of art:
The Beginning Of The End: One and Two
Where he creates:
I am from a small town in the beautiful state of Kentucky.
The genre that gets to claim him:
Most of the stories that I have out right now are horror but I have upcoming stories that are Science fiction, fantasy, a story about my battle with epilepsy, I have a children’s story that I really want to write and last night I came up with a great love story. I really love writing screenplays though. I have had some adventures in Hollywood involving screenplays and I will continue them.
In his own words, This book is about?
I would say that it is a pretty good story…a different type of horror story if that sounds better. It has a lot of action and it is fast moving. You got to check it out. I mean it…it is really good.

His muse actually takes him there: 
My writing style… I don’t know. I sit in front of my computer then my vision blackens. It is like my consciousness is throughout the scene and I experience whatever is happening. I just type what I am experiencing with the words that I know.
Has he ever written anything and thought; “The world has got to see this!”? 
Yes, that is how I felt when I finished part six to The Beginning Of The End series. It is a six part epic story that I have been working on for more than half my life. It has affected my family and friends in ways that I am sometimes embarrassed by. It has affected my health mentally and physically, so when I wrote “THE END” it was a feeling that one rarely experiences. Like the birth of your children or the first time you meet the love of your life. It was an experience, an accomplishment.
Does he have an editor and Cover Designer or does he do this himself?
For anyone who has ever read my stories they know that I need an editor. We are a big family. I have six kids so time and money goes elsewhere. But we have a good group of people who give us the little time that they have and they are greatly appreciated. As for the covers of my stories, yes, I have designed them all. Being color blind does makes it a little challenging though. I’m not fully color blind, just many of the colors blend together and it’s hard to tell the difference. So having a big family helps a lot in that area as well.
How did he decide that he wanted to be a writer? 
For me writing starting when I was in a small hotel in Macon, GA. It was two in the morning and I couldn’t sleep. My dad and little brother were snoring so loud and it was all that I could focus on. I went into the bathroom with a pen and notebook. I started to write a friend who was a foreign exchange student. I was going to mess with him so I started writing ‘Nils Eric was’ then I stopped. I was going to write a bunch of foul language because he didn’t really understand it but I didn’t. This was the first time that I blacked out. Four hours and 24 pages later I had the beginning of my first story, and after that, it just continued.
Is there anything Michael finds particularly challenging in his writing?
I am thirty-nine years old and have six kids. Our oldest is 22 and our youngest is 11. So being a husband and father of six, time is a challenge. That, or my epilepsy, but I do not like to use that as a crutch. It does dictate a lot but I try to minimize it. I have Gran Mal seizures every two months and they wipe my short term memory out. It doesn’t matter how detailed of notes I have, if I am not done with a story before the big seizures, then I don’t get to finish it. It generally takes a week or two for me to regain just simple focus. I have small seizures in between but I am learning and adapting to them. So when I write, I write fast and it sometimes creates a race to beat the next seizure.
Does he write his characters or do they write themselves through him?
I don’t consciously think about anything when I write. I do afterwards when I am talking to others about what I have written, but when I am writing, I am not here.
Does he ever write himself into the characters? 
Of course. Everybody that I have ever encountered bleeds into all my characters. I don’t think that I have a choice in that.
Is writing his full time job or are you "Keeping his day job"? So to speak.
I have epilepsy and multiple types of seizures so work is hard. Nobody wants to hire you when you drop to the floor and flop around like a fish out of water. They do not let me drive. Being a husband and father is the full time job.
If Michael could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be? 

Edgar Allen Poe. He seems like a really tripped out guy and I would love to talk stories with him. I think that would be really cool.
There are millions of new books released every year. What in his mind makes this one stand out from all those millions in his genre?
 The Beginning Of The End is not like the typical horror story, if you count the whole story as one, because that is what it is, one long story broken up into six parts, there is nothing like it. In the movie world the closest thing that you have is Star Wars, Lord of the rings. I don’t know. There really is nothing like it.  It has only one negative and that is my lack of education.
In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Has he found a great free way to market his work that he thinks other Indies will benefit from?
We are learning new things every day when it comes to promoting. The only thing that I can say is never give up and throw it all out on the table. When you lay your head down to take your last breath, you do not want to say I wish I would have done this or that. Just do everything that you can and learn as you go. I haven’t found the key to the door yet but when I do I will tell everybody. My advice, use everything that you can. If you think of it, do it. I will let you know how that works for me.
Thank you so much Michael for being a part of my Indie spotlight series. I loved the author pic that you sent. I felt that it was a very real and honest depiction of how a writer generally spends most of their time. I was especially touched by what you have to overcome everyday just to do what you love. It was an honor to include you Michael. 
Nikki
Finally here are the links to stalk Michael: 



Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Edward/e/B007OEH2SS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0


Link to purchase The Beginning Of The End: One and Two:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.