Monday, May 16, 2016

#IndieSpotlight of P. Vincent Horta Author of A King For Ravens

Name: 
P. Vincent Horta

The Title of Your Work or Group: 
A King for Ravens

Where are you from? Does not have to be the name of the place exactly. You can say Hick-ville Florida, for example if you are more comfortable with that. 
The Emerald City! That is, the DC suburbs, on the Virginia side.

Okay. That's just Awesome!

In what genre do you write? 
Fantasy and sci-fi

In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book you just read to a friend, what would you say about it? 
Start with Tolkien, spice up the action, toss out the elves, and throw in a little romance, politics, and intrigue. 

 I'm curious.

What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens.
 I usually start with characters. Something makes me think of an interesting character in an interesting setting, and over a few months I scribble down fragments of scenes, dialogue, backstory and whatnot. Eventually there are enough bits that I want to write the first scene, and after I get a few chapters in, I outline the rest. Then I write more or less faithfully to my outline and go back and rejigger the whole thing after a break.

Have you ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ? 
Yes! And, of course, I've written the exact opposite--"How quick can I format my hard drive?"

Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself? 


I definitely have professional help! I like tapping friends and acquaintances who are trying to build their own brand.

Who is your favorite author. Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy.
Orson Scott Card probably rises to the top, mostly for his novel Songmaster. I remember finishing that book in my grandmother's living room about a decade ago--not sure where the rest of the family had gotten to, but that's not uncommon when I'm reading--and just sitting and thinking about it for maybe half an hour or more.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Editing can be a slog sometimes, probably because it's a kissing cousin to my day job.

Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you?
 Pretty sure it's the latter.

Yeah. Mine never do anything I tell them to.

Do you ever write yourself into the characters?
Each character usually has one or two traits I think are mine or wish I had, though it's not always at first that I notice. Most also pick up one or two bad habits. Naturally, I bear no resemblance to the villains. Whatsoever.

Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak.
Definitely keeping my day job. I like to hope that writing will one day pay for my vacations, and one day I'll have a job where I can take them more regularly.

If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be?
 I've been an English nerd in the most classical and stereotypical sense for too long not to say Shakespeare--I'm of the camp that thinks he was a real person who wrote what they say he did.


There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre?
I want you to think what my characters are thinking, feel what they are feeling, and see new worlds through their eyes--and while lots of writers want the same thing, I'd like to think that I pull it off.


In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from?
 I don't have a silver bullet, but I've found that patience and monitoring the Twittersphere open up good opportunities. I found Lady N's blog on Twitter, for example.


Links to totally stalk his work:


Twitter: @PVHorta
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/566771

Purchase from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.