Saturday, June 29, 2013

#IndieSpotlight of Cole Burn Author of The Founding (Vol #1 Hartsdale Academy for Young Women)

Name: 
Cole Burn


The Title of Your Work: 
The Founding (Vol #1 Hartsdale Academy for Young Women)

Where are you from? 
Southeastern Connecticut

In what genre do you write? 
Erotic Romance

What is your book about?
The story line deals with male exploitation and power. Anti-hero, Jonathon Hartsdale, appears to be a perfect gentleman and astute businessman, but on the inside, he is selfish and ultimately cares for his own fantastical sexual gratification above all else. I think at some point in our lives, we've all met a Jonathon. Claire Bowman, his first love, is another asset he plans to win.
The story takes place in a Hudson Valley grand estate, where Jonathon and his cohorts found an academy where students are trained to become the proverbial perfect wife. Please don't feel sorry for the young ladies though, they know what their doing, and have fun doing it!

What is your writing style? 
Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens.
In volume one, the story did just write itself. Jonathon was based on a real-life past relationship that I truly believed would turn into a permanent commitment. I was blinded to all the warning signals out of love,or stupidity. However, the sex was amazing. The time spent with him years earlier, provides inspiration for me today. 
With volume two it seems to be a bit more of a challenge. The plot is beginning to twist and turn, I have to plan everything out in advance. I use little hand-drawn charts and references, not very scientific.

Have you ever written anything and thought; "The world has got to see this!"?
No. Not yet any way ;-)
So far, my writing is just for those who enjoy fantasy, romance and sex. For readers who care to; there is room to reflect on the societal expectations and influences placed on women and how they've changed over the past century. Did you know there is actually a web site for women whom aspire to become a “Stepford Wife”. Also, the Christian view on wifely submission is pretty clear and so polar opposite from feminist views. As a seven year-old child, I witnessed Mary Tyler Moore morph from a subservient wife playing Laura Petrie to quasi-feminist, Mary Richards. It was very confusing.
Would make the institution of marriage actually work if wives were subservient, or would the self-sacrifice thwart our lust for life? I've thought long and hard before concluding that I could be a submissive wife, IF, the there were such a thing as a perfect husband. 

Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself?
My background is in marketing and graphic design, so I enjoy the creative aspect involved in cover design. Family and friends have helped me with grammatical issues.

Who is your favorite author. Not just someone that you read a lot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy.
That is a difficult question. I love reading classical literature, then again, I love the escape that is offered in contemporary romance and humor-laden detective mysteries. I started narrating for ACX when they started up at the end of 2011. I had the opportunity to read Barbara Silkstone's, “Wendy and The Lost Boys”. I so needed that unexpected, healthy dose of belly laughs. Her writing cracked me up, it was sometimes hard to get through a passage. Out take link: http://soundcloud.com/deskofcolburn/dollop-of-cream

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Navigating through the Chicago Manual of Style. Ugh.

Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you?
I believe they are the results of personal life experience, mixed with a little insanity.

Do you ever write yourself into the characters?
Every character has aspects of me in them.

Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak. 
I live in story land. Everyday, I am either writing my own story or narrating another author's work.

If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be?
Without question: Daphne DuMaurier.

There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre?
Well, though I would like to think of the descriptive sex as being totally hot, I can't say it is the sex scenes that make my work stand out. There is so much talent out there spicing up our lives! I would have to say that perhaps my writing highlights the pure conflict society has inflicts on the female population. Are we allowed to enjoy sex, and if we do so without the institution of marriage, are we sluts?
I believe the upsurge in popularity of the erotica genre may indicate a broader acceptance of women owning their own sexuality. Wouldn't it be nice if erotica wasn't so closeted, ignored by the self-proclaimed elite writing societies. I mean, everyone enjoys sex, right?

In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from? 
Just reaching that point. I am finally twitting, on fb and author central and will definitely share any methods that boost sales and boost the reputation of our chosen genre.

In a bold move, I scanned a sixth grade class picture and posted it to my real facebook profile, which has an obvious link to Cole Burn. Then, I tagged all the pictures and held my breath. Happily, most response has been positive. Who really cares about the silent ones any way? I dare you.

Thank you so much Lady N. for giving me this opportunity. The author support in our community is amazing. 

Links to find and follow Cole's work:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.