Saturday, June 15, 2013

#IndieSpotlight of Bruce Golden @goldenmissive Author of Red Sky, Blue Sky

Name: 

Bruce Golden

The Title of Your Work or Group: 
Red Sky, Blue Moon

Where are you from? 
I'm a native San Diegan

In what genre do you write?
Speculative Fiction--fantasy & science fiction basically

In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book you just read to a friend, what would you say about it? 
Ancient aliens cull large groups of humans and their environs, which they convey across the galaxy and transplant onto another world as part of an experiment. Ultimately this great speciation experiment will have unexpected and dire consequences for the experimenters. Meanwhile, on this new world, a group of Vikings evolve over the centuries into a cutthroat corporate culture of racial purists in an early industrial society. They have designs on the lands of a nearby continent where tribes of Sioux still cling to their old ways. And they may not be the only forced immigrants on this planet. War ensues, and at the core of the conflict is a native herb which may be the cure for a disease that ravages the corporatocracy, as well as being the secret to longevity.

What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens. 
I don't follow any rules, but I do have a system that seems to work for me. I do plan out the entire book, but I'm open to new ideas which invariably sprout along the way.

Have you ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ? 
Not the world, but I've written several things I think more people should have gotten the opportunity to read...but then, what writer hasn't?

Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself? 
I've had editors/designers I've worked with in the past, but I'm a professional editor with decades of experience myself. However, it's always good to have more than one pair of eyes look something over. I've also done design work in magazines, and have designed a couple of my own book covers.

Who is your favorite author. Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy. 
Robert Heinlein was my first major influence.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Endings are always tough, and while I excel at dialogue and characterization, I have to make an effort to be more descriptive with my writing.

Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you? 
I begin them, but they often take over.

Do you ever write yourself into the characters? 
I take bits and pieces of people I know sometimes, but never myself--at least not consciously.

Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak.
I've made a living writing (or related communications) my whole life, but now I write only fiction--which is not exactly a living, but it's the only work I do these days.

If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be? 
If I could pick only one, probably Mark Twain.

There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre? 
The basic idea of transplanting Earth cultures to another world and seeing how they develop is fairly unique.

In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from? 
No great ways, just a lot of little things--I'd say try whatever you can--like doing interviews like this.

Links to find and follow his work:

Facebook Page:

Twitter:
@goldenmissive

Website:

Amazon:




B&N:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.