Wednesday, July 17, 2013

#IndieSpotlight of Trevor Campbell @MutinyTrev Author of Mono Shadowstrider, The Warender Chronicles

The Author:
Trevor Campbell

The Title of Your Work or Group:
 Mono Shadowstrider, The Warender Chronicles

Where he creates:
Bakersfield, CA

The genre that gets to claim him:
Science Fiction / Fantasy. I try to blend in steampunk and cyberpunk where I can.

In his own words, what his book is about? If Trevor were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book he just read to a friend, what would he say about it? 
Right now, I'm working on Mono Shadowstrider, while the Warenders Novel works itself out in my notes. Mono Shadowstrider is about someone who was created from the deaths of three individuals. He finds himself trying to fix the lives affected by the deaths of teh three characters. At the same time, he is running from a Government that wants to use his DNA to create copies of him for their Army.

What is his writing style? Does he follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or does he just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens. 
I do write outlines that I use to remind myself where to include exposition, and to rehearse conversations so they don't get too stale.

 Has he ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ? 
Not Exactly. I do think that I have some interesting stories to tell, and I hope I find an audience someday that agrees with me.

Does he have an editor and Cover Designer or does he do this himself? 
I do everything myself, from web design to cover art to character illustrations.

Who is Trevor's favorite author. Not just someone that he read allot. I wanna know whose book he read that made him suddenly know that if he didn't do this for the rest of his life, he would never be happy. 
Growing up it was Michael Crichton. Even though now I see that he tended to inflate some of his novel with unnecessary technical details, I still love all of the ones I read, from Andromeda Strain to Jurassic Park.

Is there anything he finds particularly challenging in his writing?
Yup! The writing itself. I'm one of those people that have to let ideas swim around in my head an germinate for a while. This makes it really hard to put out content on a regular schedule at times, and when it comes to novel writing, by the time I'm 98 % of the way done, I find that I've come up with a better version of the story and begin re writing it.

Do you es he write his characters or do they write themselves through Trevor? 
I like to think that I write them, but most of the time I learn about them as I write. I'll come up with quirks or speech patterns that just seem to fit in the moment, so they tend to come to life as I write.

 Does he ever write himself into the characters? 
I think we all do, all the time. We have to relate to our characters on some level so we can understand them. That being the case, we always impart some small piece of ourselves on them. Luckily, many readers share some character traits with us, so when they read our work, they feel that we've written part of them into the piece as well. Well, I hope that's the case, anyway.

 Is writing his full time job or is he "Keeping his day job"? So to speak.
Keeping the day job. I love writing, but I'm afraid that if it ever becomes something I have to do to put food on the table that I may lose interest in it.

If he could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be? 
Off the top of my head? Tesla. I'd like to see the things he came up with that no one ever found out about.

There are millions of new books released every year. What in his mind makes this one stand out from all those millions in his genre? 
You know, I'm not sure. I do know that my work is 100% original, where a lot of fiction these days is either based on an older work, or part of a story line that's been going on for well over a quarter century.  I hope mine achieves the latter distinction, since I intend to write for a very long time.

In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Has he found a great free way to market his work that he thinks other Indies will benefit from? 
Twitter! Tumblr, and Facebook also! Get your name and your stuff out there people!

Links to find follow and generally stalk Trevor: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.