Monday, January 18, 2016

#IndieSpotlight of Catherine Taylor Author of Master and Sins of The Master.

Name: 
Catherine Taylor


The Title of Your Work or Group:
 Master and Sins of the Master

Where are you from?
South Island, New Zealand

In what genre do you write?
Erotic thrillers

In your own words, what are your books about? If you were not the author and trying to explain these awesome books you just read to a friend, what would you say about it?
Sins of the Master is the sequel to Master, and which follows The Line Trilogy.

It was in Master that we came to learn the history of a secondary character who was first introduced into the second book of The Line Trilogy. Dylan Tyler, known as Master, became very popular with my readers and I received numerous requests to learn more about this enigmatic man with his mysterious, brooding and dominant persona.

I created his backstory, set in Ukraine in 1995, and detailing the violent history from which he had emerged. His first appearance, under the name of Jahn Zaleski, is when he goes up against the reigning champion at an illegal cage fight and triumphs brutally, only to shock the spectators when he claims the boss’s daughter, Lena Petrenko, as his prize. Lena is already suffering from a traumatic past and is terrified by this tattooed hulk of a man who has claimed her. When her father’s henchmen fail to rescue her, Lena fears that her body and life are about to become forfeit to her captor, but all isn’t as it seems. Lena soon learns that Jahn is not the beast he portrays, but is capable of a tenderness that life has failed to afford her. Soon it is her heart that is held captive, but the violent world she sought to escape is about to come back to destroy all her dreams.

Sins of the Master takes place nineteen years later in New Zealand. Jahn Zaleski has now become Dylan Tyler, world renowned photographer and recluse. Knowing that love can never be part of his life, he has built an empire of technology with the help of those prepared to serve him mind, body and soul. The memory of the woman he loved still haunts him, but Dylan knows that he can never go back. It is only when others begin to dig in his past that an old enemy is awakened and comes to destroy everyone and everything which he has ever cared for.

What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens?
Having never attended any formal writing classes, I tend to break all the rules. My stories begin with developing strong characters, knowing everything about them and trusting them to take me on their journey. When I sit down to begin a story, I have no idea where it’s going or how it’s going to end. 

Have you ever written anything and thought; "The world has got to see this!”?
I admit that I feel this way about all my creations. It’s not a vanity issue, but more of a confidence that I’m writing the stories that I want to read, so of course I feel the world should feel the same.

Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself?
 I have a team of trusted proof readers that have been invaluable to me through writing my books. My husband is my foremost editor, having an uncanny ability to spot the smallest of mistakes.

When it comes to my covers, I’m blessed to have a close friend, Leah, who is a brilliant photographer and artist, and who works with me on the covers, creating the visions I have had for them. Only the cover to Master was purchased pre-made, due to time restraints.

Who is your favorite author? Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy.
I’ve been writing stories since I was five years old and have never stopped, and this has come from having a love of reading. Many authors have influenced me, but the passion for storytelling has also come through filmmakers. My favourite author is George R. R. Martin and I could spend an entire day with him just learning about his writing process.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Finding a quiet place to write with no disturbances.

Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you?
My characters are drawn from a long life surrounded by weird and wonderful people. I love people and I’ve led an interesting life, and have never been short of characters, situations or emotions to draw from.

Do you ever write yourself into the characters?
I write my experiences into my characters, but yes, I draw on some of my only personality traits. As a teenager I was a wild child and lived dangerously. My favourite character is Mairead from The Line Trilogy and it amuses me that she’s not always popular with the readers because of her antics, brash temperament and self-destructive qualities. Much of her personality was drawn from my life experiences, but like me, Mairead has matured as time goes by and with the help of a good, strong man.

Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak.
I have been fortunate to earn enough money from my books to keep me at home writing and tutoring others in self-publishing.

If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be?
I would love to have met one of my favourite masters in the art of storytelling. Akira Kurosawa was a Japanese director of film, upon which many Hollywood films are based. He was legendary in filmmaking and his quotes are pure wisdom. “To be an artist means to search, to find and look at these realities. To be an artist means to never look away.”

There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre?
With my books, the focus is on a thrilling story rather than the usual erotic elements found within the erotica genre. In my stories, you won’t find a lot of angst, inner thoughts and drawn out emotions, which I know are popular with romance readers. I don’t write in the first person or the present tense. My stories are often multi-POV. I love writing sex scenes and like to be generous in my descriptions. My bdsm elements are derived from a life-long knowledge. Even though my books are connected, I don’t write cliffhangers and always leave the readers with a conclusion. Many readers have praised me for ability to keep them guessing with many twists and turns within the plots.

For those, like myself, who love a big read, all my books are a minimum of 100,000 words, with the last one, Sins of the Master, clocking in with a hefty 259,000 words (745 pages).

In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from?
What I have discovered as an Indie author is the vast network ready to support us, such as other Indie authors as yourself, Nicole. Reviews are of course one of the best marketing tools but I don’t chase after them. It’s always a pleasant surprise to see that someone has taken the time to review. One of my best marketing tools was discovered accidentally when I released my first book The Finest Line for free and it went to #1 in free Kindle Erotica in US, UK and France. Now I keep that book free and it still points the way to my other works.

Now give me your links so we can get people to your book sites!

Twitter: @NZEroticAuthor




I made a humble attempt at a book trailer for Master.

Book Trailer for Master: 

Links to purchase:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.