Tuesday, October 14, 2014

31 Days of The Paranormal presents: @pswinnauthor #IndieSpotlight of P.S. Winn author of Phases

The Author:
P.S. Winn (Pamela)

The Title of Your Work or Group: 
I have 17 books from preschool to supernatural suspense

Where are you from?
I am from Montana, but have spent time in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. I do love small towns though.

In what genre do you write?
I write in almost every genre, except erotica. I have some kid’s books, some Young adult and 10 novels with a lot of conspiracy, supernatural, mystery and suspense.

In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book you just read to a friend, what would you say about it? 
Let’s talk about my newest novel, “Phases”. It is a story about George, a man with a secret that takes over his life during the full moon phase. His wife has been helping him deal with the problem. When she is killed in a car accident George has to ask a new friend to help. Jake is a creative writing teacher and new to the small town. This supernatural thriller is more than just a horror novel; it is about friends helping each other and also includes a few stories in the story, including Jake’s own novel and some stories written by his students. 

What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens. 
When I write I put down the words that come from a lot of my dreams. I write every book long hand before I type it up. For me the words and story just seem to flow when my pen hits the paper. My outline is more like a description of my characters and what I feel they look like and what their personalities are. If I make an outline for where the story needs to go the characters change it anyway.

Have you ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ? 
The time I wanted the world to see my work the most is my one true story. “Suppression” it is about an inventor who actually holds a patent that can be used to burn garbage with no pollution and creates energy. That story is one that all should know about and I feel there are many more like this man. I do like when I am editing a book and while reading it I think wow, that is awesome.

 Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself? 
I edit my own books and do the covers although on “Lies in Shadows” my son helped me edit the picture for the cover. (Actually an old house on my property) 


Who is your favorite author. Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy. 
When I read the book “Grapes of wrath” by Steinbeck I was blown away with the emotion he brought to the story. I was so shocked and pleased when a review on one of my books compared it to that great man. I read a lot, over 2300 on Goodreads and have written 515 reviews on Amazon, so I have a lot of new authors. I think though with my books as well as there the reader contributes so much to the story. Every person reading a book will take away something different from it because we all have been given this great thing called imagination. I love it!

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
The challenges I find out exactly in the writing, it is the promoting that is the hardest challenge for me, I never was much of a sales person anyway. I am however someone who writes any chance I get, maybe why I have published 17 books in 2 years. (October is my 2 year anniversary since I began publishing)

Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you? 
About Characters, wow what do you say about those people? Always taking over and doing what they want. Sometimes it is hard to understand how they came from my mind when they have such different feelings than I do sometimes. 


 Do you ever write yourself into the characters? 
12. I think I always write a little of not only myself but also friends and family in to each of my books. Life does influence what you write, both good and bad. I don’t trust the government, so I have a lot of conspiracy and the characters in positions of power are usually not very nice.

Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak.
I quit my day job about 3 months ago to pursue writing full time, although I don’t think I am writing any more or less than I did when I was actually at a “day job”. In fact I don’t know how I ever did both, plus I have raised 7 children and now have 18 grandchildren. That helps keep me busy and also gives me a lot of feedback on the stories.

If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be? 
Going back in time I would like to either be someone back in the New Testament just to know what did or didn’t happen or be someone like Edgar Cayce, to be able to see aura’s and help people, awesome. The character in my book “Obligations” can do this after he comes back from a near death experience. 

There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre? 
I hope my books stand out not because they are in a certain genre, but because they bring more than one to the tale.

 In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from? 
There are a lot of sites that will let you list your books for free and also wonderful people like yourself that offer author interviews. You never know which one will get you the most sales, but it doesn’t really matter because writing is about one person saying, I loved that book or tells a story of how your book changed their life or helped them with something. I had a reader whose daughter was pregnant and having some problems carrying the baby. She was put in the hospital and hooked to a monitor. The yet to be born baby had an erratic heartbeat. The Mother (grandmother) pulled out her kindle and read one of my rhyming children’s books aloud and the heartbeat steadied to normal. Is that like the greatest story ever and makes what I do, the best job in the world.


Links to follow her work:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.