Saturday, October 18, 2014

31 Days of the Paranormal presents: “Chandrea – The Return of the Avatar Queen” by Marlene Wynn @MWynnAuthor




The Author 
Marlene Wynn

The Title of Your Work or Group: 
“Chandrea – The Return of the Avatar Queen”

Where are you from? 
Originally, Bountiful, Utah. Now…Virginia Beach, VA

In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book you just read to a friend, what would you say about it? 
On the day Crown Princess Chandrea is born, her kingdom is attacked and her parents are brutally assassinated. To save her life, Chandrea has several spells cast upon her and is sent through a magical portal to Earth to live in secrecy. On her 23rd birthday, the spell reverses itself, and Chandrea suddenly finds herself back on her birth world, Itova. There, she discovers that she is the queen of a decimated kingdom and one of the most powerful sorceresses alive. She also learns that she is expected to gather an army to defeat the tyrant queen, Leilah. Completely out of her element, and missing the only home she knows, Chandrea is overwhelmed. But she soon realizes that she may be the only one with the power, both political and magical, who can save the people of Lyrunia. 

What is your favorite supernatural creature and why? Feel free to go into detail. Make us now proclaim that this is by far, our favorite supernatural creature.
I think fairies are my favorite creatures. They are usually immortal, have vast amounts of power, and live in really cool places. 


If you could be any paranormal/supernatural being, what would it be and why? Is it the same answer as above. If not, why not?
Same as above.

Tell me what the best current paranormal themed TV show is and why everyone who hasn't seen it absolutely needs to go and watch every single episode. Marathon style.
GRIMM! Love that show and the special effects / make-up they use. They’re very creative on the monsters they bring out and the problems that the main characters have to face. 

One of my favorites. I never miss an episode. Love the whole concept of Grimm's fairytales not being fairytales but more like a detectives log of all the things they have tracked and killed. Awesome take. Nicole

What is your favorite Paranormal book? Why is this one your favorite? 
It’s more of a series than an actual book. I love Jim Butchers “Dresden Files” series, which includes, wizards, werewolves, vampires, Summer / Winter Fairies, and more. Jim has an extremely dry sense of humor and is very talented at bringing his characters to life on the pages. His books are super creative, and each and every one keeps you involved to the very end.


As everyone knows (or should by now,) I am into Vampires. Who is your favorite fictional Vampire and why is this one your favorite? 
I’m torn. I love Cian in Nora Roberts “The Circle Trilogy” series. Watching him tear through his personal walls and learn to love again was really interesting. He tries so hard to be indifferent and uncaring, but love of family and friends prevail. Yet, Thomas Raith in Jim Butcher’s “Dresden’s Files” is fascinating to get to know. He is the main character’s half brother, and is torn between the human world and the demon dwelling inside of him. He wants to just live his life in peace, and tries very hard to, but just can’t seem to find that happy medium. Oh, and they are both super sexy!

Cian! One of my top five for sure! Nora Roberts and Christine Feehan made me realize what I should be writing about. Nicole

Who is your least favorite fictional Vampire? 
Honestly, I think I really loved to hate Cian’s evil counterpart (and his maker), Lilth. She’s mundo creepy with her baby-boy-toy-vampire. 


What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens. 
At the beginning, I just sat and wrote, but the more complex my storyline became, the more I needed to have a timeline. I’ve created a detailed Excel spreadsheet listing my characters and a brief synopsis of where they are and what they are doing at any given time. It has made my storyline very tight and I honestly couldn’t write now without it. 


Have you ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ? 
LOL…No. 


Who is your favorite author. Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy. 
Though I love Jim Butcher for the reasons I listed above, Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth series were the ones that made the biggest impression on me. Sometimes, I swear they almost taught me how to live again…and better! Not to mention he is a fantastic story teller! 


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? 
Personally, I love thick books that have several main characters, and they all end up going different directions only to meet up at the end to “solve” whatever it is that needs solving. But…have you ever written something like that??? It’s HARD. But, I love it and (thanks to my nifty Excel spread sheet I spoke of earlier) I think I’ve done a fairly good job of it!


Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you? 
I think it’s a little of both. As you create your character, they begin to create themselves. How do they talk or think? How do they move? What are their responses to the world around them? The hard part is ensuring that you stay true to each one when you are writing a scene with several people involved!


Do you ever write yourself into the characters? 
I think that’s part and parcel, as the characters come from the author. I don’t know that you CAN’T write yourself in, even if it is only in a tiny way. J


Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak. 
God…I wish! No, I’m still working the 8-5 grindstone. Hopefully, one day, I’ll recognize that dream, and become a full time writer. But until then…back to my “day job”. L

If you could have an hour alone with any fictional paranormal creature, who would it be and what would you be doing? Feel free to explain. 
I think I would have to choose the Shape Shifter from my own novel! He is super cute, full of fun, and a really great guy!  How awesome would it be to spend time with a shape shifter who could become anything that lives? Would you like to ride on a dragon? 


Do you enjoy Halloween. Why or why not? What is your favorite part? 
I love Halloween, and am sorry to say both my kids are now too old to Trick or Treat. L When I was a kid, there was a woman in my neighborhood who built a massive cardboard box maze in her yard for Halloween. Each year the maze was different and the kids would line up down the block to go through it. A few years back, I decided to try my hand at that. I collected a TON of those heavy appliance boxes, a million rolls of duct tape, and set to work. It took forever, but it was well worth it. I have never seen kids (and adults) enjoy themselves quite so much. I even had groups of teens go in, and the screams of joy made my entire night. Unfortunately, my back won’t let me keep building these mazes, but I love the memories.

Are you completely opened minded about the paranormal or are you a skeptic? 
I think I’m in the middle. I know that there are a whole lot of things out there that no one can completely explain, but none of the truly “amazing” things happen where they can be seen by a lot of people. So…I’m biding my time. If it happens, it happens. If not…it’s always fun to imagine! 


What made you write a paranormal themed book? Where did the idea come from? 
Have you ever read a book or gone to a movie that left you reeling with wonder? For me, that sensation wasn’t just because the story was good, but was more awed reverence for the AUTHOR. It was humbling to imagine someone being able to create such an amazing storyline. And, I had often wondered if that was something that I could do, until one day, I thought…”Why not?” and tried. And got hooked! 


Do you only write paranormal books or do you write in other genres? 
I’ve only written the one book, and it is a series, so, no, not yet!


Who did your book cover? Are you totally happy with it. Do you feel it correctly represents your book?


My cover artist’s name is Fiona Jayde (http://fionajaydemedia.com/) and I am more than happy with her. I asked her for a cover that would convey the “child of two worlds” theme, and I’ve gotten more compliments on that cover than I would have ever believed! Fiona rocks!

There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre? 
Instead of only seeing the story from one character, I’ve made my storyline have numerous Point’s of View, including that of the “evil” queen. Personally, I think this rounds out the story much better than only one person’s view point, and helps the reader to understand where each character is coming from and why they act the way they do. 


In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from? 
Not yet…I’m too new myself!



Links to follow her work:

· Website / blog:

. YouTube Book Trailer:

· Facebook Page:

· Twitter:

· Amazon (print and ebook):
· Goodreads:

· B&N:

· Smashwords:

· iBooks:

· Kobo:










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.