Monday, September 12, 2016

#IndieSpotlight of Devorah Fox Author of The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam.

Name: 
Devorah Fox

The Title of Your Work or Group: 

The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam epic historical fantasy series


Where are you from? Does not have to be the name of the place exactly. You can say Hick-ville Florida, for example if you are more comfortable with that.
I'm originally from Brooklyn and grew up on Long Island, not far from—would you believe?—Hicksville, New York.


4. In what genre do you write?
Fantasy and Mystery/Thriller


In your own words, what is your book about? If you were not the author and trying to explain this awesome book you just read to a friend, what would you say about it? 

The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam series is a riches-to-rags saga of a king who had it all, lost it, and battled to regain it—and every dragon along the way.


What is your writing style? Do you follow all guides and rules? Synopsis, outline etc. or do you just sit down at the computer and type to see what happens?

Most of my novels have begun as National Novel Writing Month projects. I usually start with an idea of where I'm headed with the story. Then the characters take over and all I can do is try to keep up with them. For "The King's Ransom," I did try "pantsing" most of it but found that was too stressful. I'm better off starting with something of an outline or road map, even if the story does tend to veer off into uncharted territory.


Have you ever written anything and thought; " The world has got to see this!" ?

*chuckle* I feel that way about all my work ;-) 


Do you have an editor and Cover Designer or do you do this yourself? 
I do have several beta readers, editors, and proofreaders, but I do my own covers. They do well in cover contests and I get lots of compliments on them.


Who is your favorite author? Not just someone that you read allot. I wanna know whose book you read that made you suddenly know that if you didn't do this for the rest of your life then you would never be happy.

I enjoyed Faye Kellerman's "Ritual Bath" so much that I did indeed decide, "I want to do that!"


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I wish that I could write faster.




 Do you write your characters or do they write themselves through you?

The characters definitely write themselves through me. One character who made his first appearance in "The King's Ransom" continues to lobby for his own book. 


Do you ever write yourself into the characters? 

I suspect that every character has some little piece of me. Except the villains, of course. 


Is writing your full time job or are you "Keeping your day job"? So to speak.

My day job is writing, editing, publishing and selling nonfiction. In my "spare" time I write, edit, publish and sell fiction.


If you could go back in time and meet one famous person or legend in history, who would it be? 

Carl Sagan.


There are millions of new books released every year. What in your mind makes yours stand out from all those millions in your genre? 

Although my books are "genre" books as in Fantasy or Thriller, I strive to make the characters feel realistic and familiar. They struggle with the challenges many of us face: divorce, career displacement, leadership responsibilities, parenting, etc.


In the world of Indie, marketing is very difficult, especially if you don't have the funds to pay for it. Have you found a great free way to market your work that you think other Indies will benefit from? 

I'm located in an area that has no independent bookstores. I am grateful for the support of our art centers which make it possible for me to hold book signing events, and keep copies of my books on hand for purchase. Our grocery store also stocks my books and offers me the chance to hold book signing-and-sale events. 


Links to follow her work:


Twitter:@devorah_fox http://twitter.com/devorah_fox
Website:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no nasty or hurtful comments. This is a site for helping, not hurting.